Choosing Vintage Prints - A Definitive Guide
With the vast array of printable art available online, choosing the right pieces for your home can be challenging. If you're looking for something with more history character, consider choosing vintage map wall art prints.
Vintage prints offer a unique perspective of the past and can add a touch of elegance to any room. But with so many options available, how do you choose the right one for your space?
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know about choosing vintage prints, from finding the right supplier to selecting the right frame.
What Are Vintage Prints?
Vintage prints are originals or reproductions of original maps, lithographic prints, art, photographs, and more. They provide a link to the past and bear a distinctive aesthetic that transports the viewer back in time.
They also enhance both modern and traditional decor with their classic style. In modern spaces, they provide an elegant contrast, while in traditional settings, they offer a glimpse of the region and its unique history.
Why Are Vintage Prints Important?
Vintage prints are essential to the art world because of their historical significance. They are treasured for their historical value and ability to tell a story about a period. Vintage prints can be used as decorative pieces or as part of an authentic decorating scheme.
Historic prints offer a glimpse into history and culture. Vintage prints can be used as a way to relive memories or relive moments you may have missed or wish you had seen. Many people find that they can connect with historical events or people through these photos and maps, which is why many vintage prints are collected and stored away for future generations to enjoy!
What Are the Factors to Consider When Choosing Vintage Prints?
When choosing vintage prints, there are a few factors you should consider:
Print quality is one of the most important factors when choosing vintage prints. The quality of the print will determine the overall look and feel of your wall art. Some prints are printed on thick, heavy paper, while others are printed on thinner paper.
To make an informed decision about its quality, it is essential to determine how much ink was used when printing your selection. For example, if a print has been published on thin paper with little ink, it may look faded after years of exposure to sunlight. In this case, you may want to choose another print with better quality.
- Various sizes are available for vintage prints. The size you choose depends on how big a space you have available in your home or office. It's also important to consider what colors will work best with the size of your room because different colors will add more drama to your walls than others.
- For example, a small room would benefit from using smaller-sized posters, while larger spaces can benefit from using more giant-sized posters.
- The age of the print can be one of the most important factors to consider when choosing vintage prints. The older a print is, the more likely it is to have any flaws or imperfections that may be visible on a digital scan.
- If you are looking for a replica of a particular vintage item, then it's best to choose a print that has been printed from original photographs or negatives. However, if you want something different from what was available in the past, you should consider using older prints explicitly created for the market then.
- Vintage prints are often made to depict specific subjects and events, such as landscapes or portraits. It means that if you're planning on decorating with them, you should try and find images relevant to your space or design scheme.
- You can use them as inspiration for your work - for example. If you're interested in taking photos of your home, then vintage prints may give you some ideas about how to achieve similar results in your photography!
- Vintage prints can be framed or unframed. Framed prints look more professional, but unframed prints are more affordable and easier to store. If you want to frame your vintage print, choose a frame that matches its size and color scheme.
- While most antique framed prints come in a standard-size frame, some frames are much larger than others. If you're looking for something special with your new print, consider how much space it will take up on your wall and whether or not it will fit within your budget.
What to Look For in a Vintage Map Wall Art
These three key factors are the most important things to consider when buying vintage map prints.
- The first thing you need to look for in choosing vintage maps is authenticity. It means they have been reproduced from the original print rather than digitally recreated or significantly altered. All of our prints are reproduced from a high quality scan of the original. Some of our prints have been digitally restored while maintaining its historical character and accuracy.
- Provenance is another essential thing to consider when buying vintage maps. The provenance of your print will tell you where it came from, who originally produced the art and when. This information is provided for each print on historicprints.com. It also helps our customers know they can purchase authentic quality prints from reputable dealers such as ourselves!
- Condition is an important factor. All of our vintage prints are “new” reproductions using high quality, archival materials and equipment. We use fine art grade acid-free paper and pigment ink. This level of materials ensures your art from historicprints.com has the highest visual quality and more resistant to the damaging effects of UV light. This means your art will last for generations to come.
What are the Advantages of a Vintage Map Wall Art?
Great Way to Spice Up a Blank Wall
- The advantage of vintage prints is that they are a great way to spice up a blank wall. They are easy to customize, change and add to your home decor. They can also be used as a small piece of art in the center of a large room or as an accent in a smaller space.
A Beautiful and Elegant Decor Item
- Displaying a vintage map wall art is excellent for your home, office, or any other space needing a little extra charm. It can also be used as a décor item in the living room, dining room, and bedroom. The choice of color and design is up to you, but we recommend choosing something that fits with the rest of your décor.
Great Gifts for Friends and Family
- A vintage map wall art is an excellent gift for your friends and family. It will add character to their room and make it look attractive. You can choose from many themes such as world maps, cities, states, counties, etc.
- Vintage prints are affordable and they look great in almost any room. You don't need to spend a lot on a big print that you will only use in one room of your house. You can choose multiple prints and mix and match on the same wall or in different parts of your house.
- Vintage prints come in many different shapes and sizes, meaning they work well anywhere in your home, from the living room to the kitchen. If you're remodeling an older home, adding a vintage print can give it an antique feel without changing the look of your entire space.
How to Take Care for Vintage Prints
Image Source: Historic Prints - Green River Wyoming Territory Map Wall Art Print
A vintage poster's color and texture can be faded or distorted by ultraviolet rays from the sun and fluorescent lighting, so it's best to frame it behind UV-resistant glass so it won't be damaged by light.
Using acid-free matting and backing should also be considered when preparing your poster. Plexiglass can block UV rays as well. Regular backings contain acids that slowly destroy the paper as they age.
Store Them Correctly
- It is a good idea to store vintage posters in flat, acid-free sleeves if you are not planning to frame them and display them throughout your home or office. Acid-free tubing is a space-saving alternative for posters with limited storage space. If they are not sealed in shrink wrap, you should avoid stacking them on top of one another. Otherwise, they will become susceptible to dust and humidity.
- You can sometimes restore vintage posters to regain their vivid, bright appearance. To extend the poster's life, you can use linen to line the back. As well as acting as a backing seal for holes and tears in the paper, this material also provides conservationists with an additional surface on which to work during the restoration process.
Where to Find Vintage Prints
There are many places where you can find stunning historical vintage print maps. If you are looking for a specific map, you may be able to find it at Historic Prints. We also provide framed wall arts, canvas wall arts, and custom fine art prints.
Our historical prints are made by hand and are a unique link between the past and the present. Not only do they enhance any home or office, but they also make perfect gifts. We use only the best materials and equipment. All of our prints are proudly made in the United States. Each print is thoroughly inspected before packaging and shipping.
If you're looking for wall art for your home, we have a wide variety of prints in different sizes, styles, and colors that can fit your space perfectly. You can also choose from various maps such as world maps, bird's eye view maps and national park maps – so there is something for everyone!