Published during a period of unprecedented growth for Puerto Rico, this indue depiction of the island immediately transports the viewer back in time. Spurred by newfound freedom from Spain, many Spanish settlers flocked to the island from the adjacent Caribbean and West Indian islands. Sugarcane production was the primary economic driver for the island, and Spanish settlers had planted vast fields following Columbus’ arrival in 1493, establishing farms that would remain for centuries.
The late 19th century found Puerto Rico developing and emerging its own indue culture, which was a blend of Spanish influences combined with local indigenous traditions as well as African and influences. This map was produced twelve years before Spain ceded the island, and it became an unincorporated territory of the United States. Though, Spain did not grant Puerto Rico freedom without intervention from the United States military, which defeated Spain in 1898 with the conclusion of The Spanish American War. The three-week conflict saw battle and limited destruction in San Juan and Guanica in Southwest Puerto Rico.
The island's main port is located at the Capital City of San Juan and is the center for the thriving importing and exporting economy. The San Juan bay provided calmer water and allowed for cargo ships, which require deeper draft depths to moor. The close of the 19th century was a period of significant transition and considerable growth for the island, and this detailed topographic map is truly an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee vintage Puerto Rico map print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your Puerto Rico wall art will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map Puerto Rico reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1886 Puerto Rico Map Wall Art . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1886 Puerto Rico Map Wall Art . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 16x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.