Boston, Massachusetts, is one of the most iconic American cities, and its rich history dates back to 1635 when it was founded. It boasted not only the vast harbor and port but was also the most populated city until the mid 18th century. The local economy soared amid the shipping and fishing boom, especially in the 1720s, when this map was produced and published. Interestingly this piece of cartographical history contains records of significant fires in the cities history, as well as a notation regarding the smallpox outbreak of 1721, which was the sixth to surge through the city.
This was a lively era for Boston, and any fan of American history will understand the importance of the city as the colonies began the long journey that would culminate in the American Revolution. Known for its revolutionary spirit Boston became known for its role as a central point for much of the organizing of American freedom activists.
This map transports the viewer back to the time of the great sailing vessels, fully rigged and returning to Boston harbor. The harbor and coastline, in general, have always shaped the cities culture, and it has been a deep part of American Maritime history since its discovery in 1614. Geographically sheltered to the south by Cape Cod, the harbor enjoys a respite from open Atlantic swells and allowed safe passage for exports to Europe.
The history of Boston in one of its most defining periods is summed up by this depiction, which shows the progress the city made in less than 100 years.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1722 Map of Boston Massachusetts . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1722 Map of Boston Massachusetts . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.