Published in 1747, this rare piece of cartographical history depicts Northern Virginia at a time of formative colonization and establishment. Tobacco had become a profitable crop, and the region relied heavily on its cultivation and export to Europe. Tobacco became Virginia’s saving grace and saved the colony from near failure after several attempts to colonize the region had ended, including the infamous Jamestown expedition.
Tensions between French settlers and British colonists eventually led to outright conflict and battle, and the French and Indian Wars would break out seven years after this publication. The war would be waged for nearly a decade with the heavily outnumbered French settler relying on bolstered forces through alliances with local tribes.
Produced from existing surveys, Englishman Lord Thomas Fairfax compiled this information to depict geographic features and relief. The recording of counties and borders gives historians a unique glimpse into how the evolution of the region would occur and expand. Fairfax was part of the English aristocracy as well as a distant relative of George Washington. His land holdings in Virginia were vast, and during a visit to survey them, he was acquainted with a 16-year-old Washington, and the two developed a close bond until Fairfax’s death. His legacy remains in the region with both a city and county bearing his name.
The idiomatic description as the ‘northern neck’ remains in use for the region today, and this is truly an authentic piece of American history, which transports the viewer back in time.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching Northern Virginia map poster reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1747 Northern Neck of Virgina Map Print . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1747 Northern Neck of Virgina Map Print . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 20x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.