Published in 1769, this map of Boston was produced at a time of great tumult for the iconic American city. Though the Revolutionary war had yet to break out, tensions were high between the colonists and Great Britain. The passage of the Townsend Acts in 1767 had further angered colonists, and Boston was a hotbed for patriot speech and action. Boston’s role in the Revolution was crucial, and this depiction in 1769 paints a unique picture of the city in a time of transition and just one year before the famous Boston Massacre. British troops that had been stationed in the city since 1868 opened fire on a group of pro-independence protestors, and the incident served as fuel for the growing Patriotic movement.
Some of the interesting features of this illustration include the details regarding the dates of significant fires as well as outbreaks of smallpox. It also features landmarks that have been filled and re-purposed like Mill Pond as well as prominent features that remain to this day like Boston Common.
William Price, the producer of this map, owned the rights to this map, which was initially printed in 1726. Price would amend and update the map re-printing for the following forty years. Street names were added or changed, and new buildings were depicted by shading rather than perspective drawing. The details, additions, and cartouche make this map the best visual record of pre-Revolutionary Boston and an authentic piece of both American and cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1769 Map of Boston Massachusetts . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1769 Map of Boston Massachusetts . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 16x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.