- VINTAGE MAP CANVAS ART: You’ll love this high-quality canvas art reproduction of 1769 Boston Canvas Art. Our ready-to-hang maps are printed and framed in the USA by professional art framers using the highest quality materials. Each order is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1769 Boston Map Poster. A true piece of history. Historic prints beautifully link the past with the present. You may find yourself staring at your historic wall art for hours in amazement. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- QUALITY CANVAS: To display this amazing piece of history, we use museum-quality heavyweight (400gsm), satin/gloss, American made canvas. Our canvas is OBA-free which allows the print to retain its color quality for generations. The canvas displays vintage map art with accurate color reproduction. This high quality canvas print will be a wonderful addition to your vintage-themed wall.
- READY TO HANG: This high-quality canvas wrap wall art displays beautifully in almost any environment. The stretcher bar is made out of kiln-dried poplar wood. This canvas wall art has a 1.5 inch wrap on each side. Our canvas wrap prints are made-to-order in the USA by professional art framers. Frames arrive ready-to-hang, preinstalled with hanging hardware.
- HISTORIC PRINTS: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, stamps, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. Customers all over the world love our historic prints and we know you will too.
Published in 1769, this map of Boston was produced at a time of great tumult for the iconic American city. Though the Revolutionary war had yet to break out, tensions were high between the colonists and Great Britain. The passage of the Townsend Acts in 1767 had further angered colonists, and Boston was a hotbed for patriot speech and action. Boston’s role in the Revolution was crucial, and this depiction in 1769 paints a unique picture of the city in a time of transition and just one year before the famous Boston Massacre. British troops that had been stationed in the city since 1868 opened fire on a group of pro-independence protestors, and the incident served as fuel for the growing Patriotic movement.
Some of the interesting features of this illustration include the details regarding the dates of significant fires as well as outbreaks of smallpox. It also features landmarks that have been filled and re-purposed like Mill Pond as well as prominent features that remain to this day like Boston Common.
William Price, the producer of this map, owned the rights to this map, which was initially printed in 1726. Price would amend and update the map re-printing for the following forty years. Street names were added or changed, and new buildings were depicted by shading rather than perspective drawing. The details, additions, and cartouche make this map the best visual record of pre-Revolutionary Boston and an authentic piece of both American and cartographical history.
Our ready-to-hang canvas wall art prints are made in the USA using the highest quality materials with professional craftsmanship. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Historic prints look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.