- VINTAGE MAP CANVAS ART: You’ll love this high-quality canvas art reproduction of 1786 Delaware Bay & Chesapeake Bay Map Poster Canvas. Our ready-to-hang maps are printed and framed in the USA by professional art framers using the highest quality materials. Each order is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1786 Chesapeake Bay Map Wall Art. A true piece of history. Historic prints beautifully link the past with the present. You may find yourself staring at your historic wall art for hours in wonderment. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- QUALITY CANVAS: To display this amazing piece of history, we use museum-quality heavyweight (400gsm), satin/gloss, American made canvas. Our canvas is OBA-free which allows the print to retain its color quality for generations. The canvas displays vintage map art with accurate color reproduction. This high quality canvas print will be a wonderful addition to your vintage-themed wall.
- READY TO HANG: This high-quality canvas wrap wall art displays beautifully in almost any environment. The stretcher bar is made out of kiln-dried poplar wood. This canvas wall art has a 1.5 inch wrap on each side. Our canvas wrap prints are made-to-order in the USA by professional art framers. Frames arrive ready-to-hang, preinstalled with hanging hardware.
- HISTORIC PRINTS: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, stamps, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. Customers all over the world love our historic prints and we know you will too.
This map of the Chesapeake and Delaware bays was published the year following the end of the American Revolution and immediately transports the viewer to a time when the United States was free from the colonial rule of Britain and embarking on its journey of democratic government. The Eastern seaboard and particularly Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia, have a rich history not only in the Revolutionary War but in the United States colonial and post-Revolution. These two bays were integral to the development of the economy of the region and contributed to the establishment of the major port city of Baltimore. Tobacco was the primary export for the mid-Atlantic seaboard, and the bulk was shipped out of the Chesapeake Bay.
Produced by John Churchman, a prominent Quaker author and philosopher in 1786, this map was published by the American Philosophical Society. The Delmarva peninsula was a critical point of geography, with Maryland’s northern border eventually becoming the Mason Dixon line or the delineation of north and south in the United States. Maryland also donated the land that ultimately became Washington DC to George Washington, linking this region forever to the early establishment of the nation.
The Battle of the Chesapeake, depicted here as Chesopeak, was a pivotal point in the Revolutionary War. The allied French Navy defeated the Royal Navy, which allowed General Washington to march south from New York and battle the British at Yorktown. This historic march is still memorialized with the Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route National trail.
Our ready-to-hang canvas wall art prints are made in the USA using the highest quality materials with professional craftsmanship. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Historic prints look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.