- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1789 Plan of New York City Map Print. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1789 Plan of New York City Map Print. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
1789 was an incredibly important year for the new nation as it had defeated the British, and the monumental task of creating and implementing democratic rule had been undertaken by the Congress of the Confederation, which had assembled in New York City in 1785. The Continental Congress ratified the Constitution of the United States in 1789, and it was also the year General George Washington was inaugurated as the first President of the fledgling United States. The nation's capital at the time, New York City, was undergoing a significant transition, and the United States itself was beginning to navigate freedom from British rule. New York City was becoming the cultural center, and it's thriving financial markets, and bustling port provided an economic boom.
New York City became the most populated city in the nation in 1790, and the growth would only continue. In the 19th century, the population would go from around 65,000 to nearly 3.5 million. This map indexes the notable buildings of the time and allows historians to create a vision for what daily life would have been like in the late 18th century.
With the formation of the stock market to follow three years later, New York was rapidly developing, and by offering merchants more for their imported goods, the city was able to economically surpass both Boston and Philadelphia as the leading hub for imports. The city always held a cosmopolitan attitude, and its resident's tolerance for immigrants allowed the diversity it is known for today.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.