- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1792 Vintage Washington DC Map Print. Our museum quality prints are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1792 Wall Map of Washington DC Poster. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Produced by prolific American surveyor Andrew Ellicott this unique depiction of the plans for the United States capital shows it as the newly independent Colonies began to establish a democratic government and set the models for how the nation would evolve. Due to a provision in the US Constitution, the capital is decreed to be a federal district governed by Congress's exclusive jurisdiction. The Residence Act was signed in 1790 and established the capital on the banks of the Potomac River, and the city was officially established in 1791. During the survey, Ellicott placed stone markers every mile, many of which stand to this day. Congress would hold its first session in Washington DC in 1800.
As perhaps the most iconic place in early American history, the city bears a rich history and distinctive character. As the political center of the United States, Washington DC experienced significant transformation throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. This original survey of the first established one hundred square miles bears a classic style and signature aesthetic that immediately transports the viewer back in time, creating an indelible bond between the past and present.
The city was invaded by the British during the War of 1812, and Congress, as well as the White House, were gutted and burned. While most buildings were restored relatively quickly, the Capitol Building would not be complete in its current form until 1868. This authentic piece of American cartographical history shows the foundations for this incredibly iconic and remarkable city.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.