Published in both English and German, this unique depiction of New Hampshire in 1796 is a truly authentic piece of cartographical history. Produced by prolific German bookseller Carl Ernst Bohn, this map was created for German Audiences in Hamburg and would have served as a guide for immigrants who were flocking to the newly independent United States. The American Revolution had concluded a decade prior, and Germans would not have a democratic government until 1871. The State motto "Live Free or Die" stemmed from its fiercely independent spirit, and it was the first to establish a Constitution outside of the authority of Great Britain in 1776.
New Hampshire's textile mills brought many immigrants from Germany, and the Amoskeag Mill on the banks of the Merrimack River became the largest textile mill in the world for a time. Manchester, NH saw the formation of a tight-knit German community and because New England had a smaller general population than larger cities like Boston, New York, or Philadelphia. These communities became crucial for new immigrants to get on their feet after making the journey to America. Mills in America were able to offer higher pay, and the religious freedom attracted Catholics and Protestants alike.
These engravings allow historians to stitch together a deeper understanding of how the unique combination of place and people combine to create cultures. The distinctive aesthetic and style of this map transport the viewer back in time and allow a deeper connection to America's History.
Our museum quality giclee New Hampshire Decor print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching NH artwork vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect New Hampshire gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1796 State of New Hampshire Map Poster . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1796 State of New Hampshire Map Poster . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 16x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.