This rare and incredibly detailed map published by prolific German cartographer DF Sotzmann in one of the most celebrated atlases of the 18th century is rich with information, and its distinctive aesthetic immediately transports the viewer back in time. This map is considered one of the best productions at the time in terms of scale and detail and has become a valuable tool for historians to better understand daily life in Rhode Island at the close of the 18th century. It provides excellent local detail, including individual land holdings, meeting houses, shipyards, and soundings off of the coast, which provided depths for sailing vessels.
Rhode Island was experiencing a tremendous boom during the start of the industrial revolution, and numerous mills and factories brought waves of immigrants from Portugal, Germany, Italy, England, and Ireland. These immigrants quickly established neighborhoods and communities that welcomed subsequent generations as the population expanded throughout the 19th century. The state had experienced rapid growth and expansion following the conclusion of the American Revolution, which continued through the early portions of the 19th century.
The 1790s saw the establishment of a prominent jewelry production industry that would remain an economic driver for the next two centuries. By 1880 Providence was considered the jewelry production capital of the nation and was responsible for more than one-quarter of the nation’s entire jewelry production, and by the 1960s was called the “jewelry capital of the world.” This rare illustration is truly an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1797 Rhode Island Map . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1797 Rhode Island Map . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.