The fourth-longest river in the world, the majestic Mississippi, is iconic in American History and was fundamental for the development of the economies and culture. The mouth of the Missouri river, as shown in this depiction, was vital for the westward expansion of the United States and the river as a whole served as a significant artery for the nation to transport goods upriver from the port in New Orleans while also exporting goods downriver from northern states.
The early 19th century saw the proliferation of steam-powered paddle boats, which became some of the most recognizable features of American culture. With ten states using the river as a border, it’s prominence in this time period cannot be underestimated and the emergence of prosperous cities including St. Louis
This map was published eight years after the United States completed the Louisiana Purchase, and control of the river allowed America to establish numerous cities and towns. The rivers delta, which spills into the Gulf of Mexico at New Orleans and the Atchafalaya River. The cities foundation by the French and settlement by French Canadians that traveled downriver from Canada. One of the most distinct and unique American cities, the formation of New Orleans, was a blend of European, African, and American cultures. Throughout the early 19th century, the city experienced rapid growth and prosperity spurred on by its proximity to the river. This map's distinctive aesthetic immediately transports the viewer back in time and is an authentic piece of cartographical History.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1811 Mississippi River Map . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1811 Mississippi River Map . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 8x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.