- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1820 Map of Mississippi. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and the text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1820 Map of Mississippi. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Published by noted Scottish mapmaker John Melish in 1820, this depiction of Mississippi shows the state just three years after it’s inclusion into the United States. Melish was one of the earliest surveyors to produce maps and created the first map of the United States that extended to the Pacific Ocean. He had settled in Philadelphia in 1811 and is considered one of the most prominent cartographers of the United States in its early years. His publication of the United Stated is deemed to have been influential in the westward expansion doctrine known as manifest destiny.
The Mississippi River played a pivotal role in the economic development of the region, and towns were typically established due to their proximity to the river. The Mississippi is one of the most iconic waterways in America and holds a unique place in the history and lore of the nation. The river allowed trade into the mid-west and became vital for the economic success of the gulf coast, including Mississippi and Louisiana. The river also allowed further exploration into the western portion of the united states, encouraging growth and settlement west of the river as well as into northern areas.
Melish’s maps were renowned for their accuracy and fulfilled the contemporary need for precise cartography. As Mississippi entered the United States, it was in a period of significant transition in the early 19th century, and the distinctive aesthetic of this illustration immediately transports the viewer back in time and is an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.