- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1849 Wall Map of North America Poster. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1849 North America Map. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Produced by Royal Geographer and prolific cartographer Charles Smith, this stunning depiction of North America was among the earliest works to provide this level of accuracy and detail of the continent. Smith’s classic style and distinguished aesthetic immediately transports the viewer back in time, creating an indelible bond between past and present while providing a snapshot of North America as modern boundaries were established.
The middle of the nineteenth century marked a period of rapid transformation in North America and the United States. The Treaty of Hidalgo was signed in 1849, which effectively marked the end of the Mexican-American War and the Gold Rush began in what would become California. These events would transform America’s cultural identity and ultimately fulfill the westward expansion and ratification of numerous states to create the contiguous forty-eight states. Railroad expansion was increasing access throughout the United States, and immigrants were eager to establish communities in the towns and cities that were being established across the country.
As territories achieved statehood, the shape of the United States was coming together both economically and culturally. The conclusion of the Mexican-American War wound created ten states throughout the Southwest, which would become some of the most iconic regions in the nation. The shifting geopolitical landscape was increasing tensions between the Northern and Southern states. Smith’s works were among the most renowned of the era, and he produced a collection compiled as the New English Atlas. This is truly an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.