Situated on the banks of the Potomac, the United States Capital City Washington DC holds an esteemed place in American History. Established in 1790 following the Continental Armies defeat of the British, Washington DC was in a period of great transition in 1850, the year this map was published. Railways had created greater access to the city, and government workers were bustling throughout the capital. Construction of the Washington Monument had started in 1848, though the grand obelisk would not be completed until 1884 due to lack of funding and the American Civil War.
The simple depiction of the wards and developed areas of the great city provides viewers a glimpse of the past and immediately transports them back in time. The ornate insets detailing the White House, Statue of George Washington, Washington Monument, and other notable buildings show the Greek Revival architectural themes that would come to define the region and period.
The city was experiencing political turmoil in 1850 following the sudden death of President Zachary Taylor and subsequent inauguration of Millard Fillmore. Fillmore dissolved Taylor’s cabinet and set about creating new policies regarding the lands of the West acquired after the Mexican-American War, which ended in 1848. Fillmore also supported the controversial Compromise of 1850, which divided the nation and would eventually lead to Southern states secession and ultimately the Civil War. This time of great transition was a pivotal turning point in the history of not only the city but the entire nation.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your Washington DC artwork will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1850 Washington DC Vintage Map . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1850 Washington DC Vintage Map . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.