Published in 1851 by prolific American cartographer JH Colton, this distinctive illustration of Wisconsin depicts the state in one of its most significant periods of growth in the mid 19th century. Colton's maps were unique in that he utilized metal engraving plates over the inferior wax engravings that were more common for the era, and the elaborate borders are a common theme for Colton's work. His cartographical style was influential throughout the 19th century, and his works appear in the Smithsonian Museum.
Wisconsin achieved statehood only three years prior to this publication but had been expanding massively in the years leading up to its inclusion in the United States. German, Irish, and Norwegian immigrants were flocking to the state, and its population had grown from 31,000 to over 300,000.
As lead mining diminished in the early years of statehood Wisconsin's economy diversified, dairy and agriculture industries became primary economic drivers for the state. The large immigrant population found familiar territory, and breweries became common throughout the state and would remain a staple of Wisconsin's culture through the present day. Lumber and paper milling also became staple industries for the state in pre-industrialization years.
During the mid 19th century Nelson Dewey, the first Governor, emphasized the building of critical infrastructure, including railways and canals, to provide further access for grain and lumber to be exported from the state. The 1850s were a period of tremendous growth for Wisconsin, and this illustration allows the viewer a glimpse of the state's rich history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1851 Wisconsin Map Poster . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1851 Wisconsin Map Poster . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.