- VINTAGE MAP CANVAS ART: You’ll love this high-quality canvas art reproduction of 1851 Ohio Map Canvas Art. Our ready-to-hang maps are printed and framed in the USA by professional art framers using the highest quality materials. Each order is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1851 Map of Ohio Wall Art. A true piece of history. Historic prints beautifully link the past with the present. You may find yourself staring at your historic wall art for hours in amazement. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- QUALITY CANVAS: To display this amazing piece of history, we use museum-quality heavyweight (400gsm), satin/gloss, American made canvas. Our canvas is OBA-free which allows the print to retain its color quality for generations. The canvas displays vintage map art with accurate color reproduction. This high quality canvas print will be a wonderful addition to your vintage-themed wall.
- READY TO HANG: This high-quality canvas wrap wall art displays beautifully in almost any environment. The stretcher bar is made out of kiln-dried poplar wood. This canvas wall art has a 1.5 inch wrap on each side. Our canvas wrap prints are made-to-order in the USA by professional art framers. Frames arrive ready-to-hang, preinstalled with hanging hardware.
- HISTORIC PRINTS: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, stamps, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. Customers all over the world love our historic prints and we know you will too.
Published by prolific American cartographer JH Colton this detailed map of Ohio is indicative of Colton’s unique aesthetic and quality productions. His steel plate engravings were hand-painted and were considered higher quality than maps produced with wax engravings. His works are even featured in the Smithsonian Museum of Art, and their distinctive borders are unique to Colton maps.
By 1851 Ohio was becoming an industrial powerhouse of the Midwest and was experiencing a tremendous amount of growth and development. The steel industry was thriving, and the discovery of coal in the middle of the century led to further expansion. By 1853 Ohio was the third-largest producer of iron and steel in the country.
Township maps represented census data and enable genealogists and historians to develop the history and evolution of regions. Ohio experienced flocks of immigrants throughout the early 19th century to work in the numerous iron and steel furnaces. Thriving meat processing, tobacco plants, and a robust oil industry bolstered the economy, and Cleveland would eventually produce the world’s first billionaire John D. Rockefeller.
1851 also saw Ohio adopt a new state constitution that established the legislative, executive, and judiciary branches of the state government. The constitution also endowed the right to citizens to vote for the Governor.
This depiction portrays Ohio in a time of great prosperity, and the state would also serve as one of the most important places during the Civil War a decade later, this is truly an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our ready-to-hang canvas wall art prints are made in the USA using the highest quality materials with professional craftsmanship. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Historic prints look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.