- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1853 Woodbury Town Map. Our museum quality prints are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1853 Woodbury Map of Litchfield County. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Illustrated by Irish-born artist and Lawrence Fagan, this ornately detailed depiction of Woodbury shows it in a time of prosperity and growth as the region expanded economically and culturally in the middle of the nineteenth century. Fagan’s works focused on New York and New England, and his unique style includes notable buildings and houses from the time. Fagan worked with published Richard Clark, who was one of the most prominent printers of large maps. His productions focused on notable civic features instead of accurate geographical data and were displayed by merchants and residents alike in a show of civic pride.
Founded in 1673 by fifteen families who made the city charter official with the enacting of the so-called Fundamental Article, which laid the framework for civil governance in the area. The historical buildings in Woodbury line nearly a mile of the town’s center and are not nucleated, which distinguishes it from other New England towns. These buildings are detailed by Fagan at the borders of the map and provide a window into the past. Many of these are included in the National Historic Register District and date back as far as the late eighteenth century.
Woodbury was founded under the condition that it would accept any settlers that arrived and that the expense of the settlement would be shared among inhabitants. In addition, it provided for the establishment of common land and land saved to be distributed to future settlers. This is an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.