Published five years prior to the outbreak of the Civil War, this political map was produced to display the ongoing debate over free and slave states in the US and the territories that were under consideration for statehood’s stance on the issue. This rare map was one of the promotional tools employed in the 1850s Presidential campaign launched by John Fremont. Fremont was the first candidate put forward by the newly formed Republican Party, which had emerged after the dissolution of the Whigs.
Published in support of Fremont’s campaign, Reynolds differentiated free and slave states by color depicting free states in red, slave states in black, and territories in green. Reynolds, based in New York, rushed this map into production immediately after Fremont’s nomination in support of the anti-slavery candidate. The map attempted to sway voters with the notion that slavery could spread into the North if a non-anti-slavery candidate were elected.
The nation was divided on the issue, and the inclusion of the territories would prove pivotal to the leverage lawmakers had when determining free states versus slave states. Though this map did not accurately depict what the actual Union and Confederate boundaries would become as Kansas, Missouri, and West Virginia would remain under Union control. This map shows the nation marching toward conflict and illustrates the deep divisions created between the North and South. It’s distinctive aesthetic and unique purpose as a political campaign piece make this an authentic part of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1856 United States Political Map . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1856 United States Political Map . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.