As tensions heated between Northern and Southern states leading up to the Civil War, New York City was flourishing as the cultural capital of the United States with bars and nightclubs like the Haymarket and McGlory's providing ecstatic crowds entertainment. This depiction illustrates the rapid development and population expansion that occurred in the iconic American City before 1861 when all American's lives were transformed when the Civil War broke out. The city remained divided regarding the issues underlying the Civil War.
As the railroad connection carried goods overland, the completion of the Erie Canal decades earlier had allowed the already booming ports of New York to maintain their financial dominance. The ports were vital to the region, and the thousands of immigrants that entered through them became an integral part of the cities culture. Irish immigrants were flooding in due to the famine occurring in their homeland, and Germans' fleeing revolt and upheaval respectively formed nearly half of the population at the time. The city had already surpassed the million resident mark and has remained the largest and most densely populated city in the United States.
This map depicts streets, rail lines, and proprietors names for river piers, which allow historians to develop a better understanding of the iconic cities' history and evolution. Published by JH Colton, who was one of the preeminent American mapmakers. The Colton Company was an international leader in the map publishing industry at the time; the distinct aesthetic and details immediately transport the viewer back in time.
Our museum quality New York City map wall art print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1857 New York City and Vicinity Map Art . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1857 New York City and Vicinity Map Art . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 16x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.