Produced by prolific American cartographer and illustrator Harvey Boardman in 1858, this depiction of the White Mountains of New Hampshire was created to entice tourists to the famed mountains from Boston, New York, and Montreal. With the iconic Mount Washington peak being the highest in the Northeast, these mountains drew hundreds of artists there to paint them in the 19th century and was the setting for noted American author Nathaniel Hawthorne’s short story The Great Carbuncle.
Many of the early maps were produced to attract tourists, and the region has long relied on tourism as an economic driver. Depicting roads, carriageways, and local hotels, these maps served as enticements for tourists and noted topographical details as well. Famed for its ski resorts, the White Mountains are home to some of the best slopes in the United States.
The conclusion of the famous Appalachian trail starts in the southern portion to the mountains and marks the change from a relatively flat through-hike to more rugged and steep terrain. The trail is one of the longest through hikes in the world and attracts thousands of hikers annually. When combined with unpredictable weather, the highest peaks in the Presidential Range create some of the harshest climates for mountaineering and are used as training grounds for expeditions preparing for K2 and Mount Everest.
The Mount Washington Cog Railway is the nation’s first mountain ascending cog railway and is still in operation today. An authentic piece of cartographical history, the distinctive aesthetic transports the viewer back in time.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1858 Map of White Mountains New Hampshire Poster . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1858 Map of White Mountains New Hampshire Poster . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 20x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.