Published in 1859 by prolific American cartographer JH Colton, whose work can found in the Smithsonian, this distinctive depiction of Connecticut immediately transports the viewer back in time. Colton employed heavy steel engravings that were then hand-colored and considered the highest quality maps of the time, also bearing his signature borders, which were elaborate illustrations designed to distinguish his productions from state produced maps.
By the side 19th century Connecticut had become a central hub for manufacturing and had a leading role in kick-starting the nation's Industrial Revolution. As tensions grew between the North and South, Connecticut had long been a state which advocated the abolition of slavery and had entirely abolished the practice in 1848.
By 1859 the large scale manufacturing and density of Connecticut's most significant cities were leading the nation in innovation. When the Civil War broke out in 1861, Connecticut played a leading role by supplying the Union forces with rifles, cannons, ammunition, and other military materials. The state also furnished some 55,000 soldiers for the Union effort.
The unique combination of density, flat terrain, and extensive industrial production led to a massive expansion of the state's railroad system with over 600 miles of lines laid by 1860. These networks allowed the region to grow immensely, and immigrants flocked to the state for the opportunity to work in the numerous factories and manufacturing plants. This unique illustration of the state and region immediately transports the viewer back in time and is an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1859 Connecticut map art . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1859 Map of Connecticut State for wall. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch Connecticut print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube. Shipping is fast and free.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. We stand behind our products with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.