- VINTAGE MAP CANVAS ART: You’ll love this high-quality canvas art reproduction of 1859 Connecticut Map Canvas. Our ready-to-hang maps are printed and framed in the USA by professional art framers using the highest quality materials. Each order is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1859 Connecticut Map Wall Art. A true piece of history. Historic prints beautifully link the past with the present. You may find yourself staring at your historic wall art for hours in amazement. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- QUALITY CANVAS: To display this amazing piece of history, we use museum-quality heavyweight (400gsm), satin/gloss, American made canvas. Our canvas is OBA-free which allows the print to retain its color quality for generations. The canvas displays vintage map art with accurate color reproduction. This high quality canvas print will be a wonderful addition to your vintage-themed wall.
- READY TO HANG: This high-quality canvas wrap wall art displays beautifully in almost any environment. The stretcher bar is made out of kiln-dried poplar wood. This canvas wall art has a 1.5 inch wrap on each side. Our canvas wrap prints are made-to-order in the USA by professional art framers. Frames arrive ready-to-hang, preinstalled with hanging hardware.
- HISTORIC PRINTS: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, stamps, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. Customers all over the world love our historic prints and we know you will too.
Published in 1859 by prolific American cartographer JH Colton, whose work can found in the Smithsonian, this distinctive depiction of Connecticut immediately transports the viewer back in time. Colton employed heavy steel engravings that were then hand-colored and considered the highest quality maps of the time, also bearing his signature borders, which were elaborate illustrations designed to distinguish his productions from state produced maps.
By the side 19th century Connecticut had become a central hub for manufacturing and had a leading role in kick-starting the nation's Industrial Revolution. As tensions grew between the North and South, Connecticut had long been a state which advocated the abolition of slavery and had entirely abolished the practice in 1848.
By 1859 the large scale manufacturing and density of Connecticut's most significant cities were leading the nation in innovation. When the Civil War broke out in 1861, Connecticut played a leading role by supplying the Union forces with rifles, cannons, ammunition, and other military materials. The state also furnished some 55,000 soldiers for the Union effort.
The unique combination of density, flat terrain, and extensive industrial production led to a massive expansion of the state's railroad system with over 600 miles of lines laid by 1860. These networks allowed the region to grow immensely, and immigrants flocked to the state for the opportunity to work in the numerous factories and manufacturing plants. This unique illustration of the state and region immediately transports the viewer back in time and is an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our ready-to-hang canvas wall art prints are made in the USA using the highest quality materials with professional craftsmanship. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Historic prints look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.