Published in the midst of the American Civil War, this distinct map is a rare piece of American cartographical history. It has been a valuable tool for historians in documenting soldier casualties in the bloodiest battle of the conflict. Surveyor SG Elliott produced this map, which is unique in its depiction of soldier burial grounds. The battle was a turning point in the Civil War, which sparked President Abraham Lincoln’s emancipation Proclamation and effectively halted the Northern Virginian army’s attempt to invade the Union North.
Confederate General Robert E. Lee led his forces North after a victory in Chancellorsville in May of 1863 and met Union General George Meade’s troops on July 1. The two armies would clash in three days of fighting that saw heavy casualties on both sides resulting in the eventual retreat of Lee back to Virginia. With more than fifty-one thousand troop casualties from both sides, this was the costliest battle of the entire Civil War.
Elliott’s map has been used by historians to develop a better understanding of the clash, and the way the battle unfolded by providing names of fallen soldiers, burial locations, and which states they had come from. Another notable feature of this map is the illustration of armaments such as rifle pits, which also proved invaluable in developing a scope for the strategies used by both armies. The distinguished aesthetic of this map sets it apart from other plans of the era, and it immediately transports the viewer back in time.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1863 Gettysburg Pennsylvania Map . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1863 Gettysburg Pennsylvania Map . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.