Produced in 1864, this map of Georgia is a unique depiction of not only where battles occurred in the Civil War, but also of the fixtures such as rail stations and post offices that existed before the war breaking out in 1861. 1864 was a decisive year in the Civil War and especially in Georgia, with the Atlanta Campaign being carried out by Union forces. The campaign led by Union General William Sherman started in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and ravaged Georgia as it marched towards Atlanta. Sherman successfully seized control of Atlanta on September 2, 1864, and he started his final journey to the sea, which hastened the end of the brutal conflict.
Georgia had been relatively free from the conflict until this time, with a majority of the battles being fought in its northern neighbor South Carolina. This, however, had changed by 1864, and Georgia’s resources were dwindling. The Union blockade inhibited the export of cotton, and transportation systems were disrupted throughout the South, challenging the exchange of goods. Georgia was host to what is widely considered the last battle of the Civil War, the Battle of Columbus, on the Georgia-Alabama border in April of 1865.
James Lloyd hand-colored the battle sites on this map in red and produced many other notable maps, later becoming a US Congressman who would serve from 1897-1917, representing Missouri. The distinctive aesthetic of this map immediately transports the viewer back in time and is an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1864 Map of Georgia Poster . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1864 Map of Georgia Poster . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 20x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.