Based on depictions of the region from the decade prior, this map was published in 1865 at the close of the American Civil War and produced by prominent American cartographer and publisher J.H. Colton. Colton employed a more costly steel engraving method that was then colored by hand, and his maps were known for their premium quality, extensive detailing, and distinctive aesthetic. This map also features the signature border that Colton maps were known for.
The decision to depict the city of Charleston and also Fort Sumter, given the period, is unique given the former’s role at the start of the Civil War. Charleston’s history is deep, and the city had been experiencing great prosperity during the antebellum due to its bustling ports. Charleston was a key fortification point for the Confederacy, and it did not fall to Union Forces until the very last months of the Civil War.
This handsome depiction of the state shows it in a time of great transition, and these maps were often produced for markets in Western Europe. Europeans had become fascinated with the results of the American Civil War. They were eager to display locations that had historical significance, and South Carolina was easily one of the most symbolic.
This is truly an authentic piece of cartographical history, and the extensive details in Colton’s publication allow historians to gain greater insight into the daily lives of prominent South Carolinians and how their lives had been altered in the period stretching from antebellum to reconstruction.
Our museum quality giclee South Carolina map poster comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your South Carolina decor print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map South Carolina reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1865 Map of South Carolina . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1865 Map of South Carolina . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.