- VINTAGE MAP FRAMED: You’ll love this high-quality framed historic reproduction of 1865 South Carolina Map. Our ready-to-hang maps are printed and framed in the USA by professional art framers using the highest quality materials. Each order is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1865 Wall Map of South Carolina Poster. A true piece of history. Historic prints beautifully link the past with the present. You may find yourself staring at your historic wall art for hours in amazement. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: To display this amazing piece of history, we use museum-quality heavyweight (230gsm), fine art print matte paper. Our paper is acid-free which allows the print to retain its color quality for generations. Our paper displays vintage map art with accurate color reproduction. This high quality print will be a wonderful addition to your vintage-themed wall.
- READY TO HANG: This high-quality frame displays art beautifully in almost any environment. The frame is made out of poplar wood (for black and white) and pine wood (for walnut and natural) with a matte finish. The frame profile is 1.5 inches high and 0.75 (for size 18x24) and 1.125 (for size 24x36) inches wide. To protect artwork, we use high-quality, lightweight, shatter-resistant frame-grade acrylic. Frames arrive ready-to-hang, preinstalled with hanging hardware.
- HISTORIC PRINTS: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, stamps, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. Our framed prints are made-to-order in the USA by professional art framers. Customers all over the world love our historic prints and we know you will too.
Based on depictions of the region from the decade prior, this map was published in 1865 at the close of the American Civil War and produced by prominent American cartographer and publisher J.H. Colton. Colton employed a more costly steel engraving method that was then colored by hand, and his maps were known for their premium quality, extensive detailing, and distinctive aesthetic. This map also features the signature border that Colton maps were known for.
The decision to depict the city of Charleston and also Fort Sumter, given the period, is unique given the former’s role at the start of the Civil War. Charleston’s history is deep, and the city had been experiencing great prosperity during the antebellum due to its bustling ports. Charleston was a key fortification point for the Confederacy, and it did not fall to Union Forces until the very last months of the Civil War.
This handsome depiction of the state shows it in a time of great transition, and these maps were often produced for markets in Western Europe. Europeans had become fascinated with the results of the American Civil War. They were eager to display locations that had historical significance, and South Carolina was easily one of the most symbolic.
This is truly an authentic piece of cartographical history, and the extensive details in Colton’s publication allow historians to gain greater insight into the daily lives of prominent South Carolinians and how their lives had been altered in the period stretching from antebellum to reconstruction.
Our ready-to-hang wall art are printed and framed in the USA using the highest quality materials with professional craftsmanship. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Historic prints look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.