- VINTAGE MAP CANVAS ART: You’ll love this high-quality canvas art reproduction of 1865 South Carolina Map Canvas. Our ready-to-hang maps are printed and framed in the USA by professional art framers using the highest quality materials. Each order is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1865 Wall Map of South Carolina Poster. A true piece of history. Historic prints beautifully link the past with the present. You may find yourself staring at your historic wall art for hours in amazement. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- QUALITY CANVAS: To display this amazing piece of history, we use museum-quality heavyweight (400gsm), satin/gloss, American made canvas. Our canvas is OBA-free which allows the print to retain its color quality for generations. The canvas displays vintage map art with accurate color reproduction. This high quality canvas print will be a wonderful addition to your vintage-themed wall.
- READY TO HANG: This high-quality canvas wrap wall art displays beautifully in almost any environment. The stretcher bar is made out of kiln-dried poplar wood. This canvas wall art has a 1.5 inch wrap on each side. Our canvas wrap prints are made-to-order in the USA by professional art framers. Frames arrive ready-to-hang, preinstalled with hanging hardware.
- HISTORIC PRINTS: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, stamps, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. Customers all over the world love our historic prints and we know you will too.
Based on depictions of the region from the decade prior, this map was published in 1865 at the close of the American Civil War and produced by prominent American cartographer and publisher J.H. Colton. Colton employed a more costly steel engraving method that was then colored by hand, and his maps were known for their premium quality, extensive detailing, and distinctive aesthetic. This map also features the signature border that Colton maps were known for.
The decision to depict the city of Charleston and also Fort Sumter, given the period, is unique given the former’s role at the start of the Civil War. Charleston’s history is deep, and the city had been experiencing great prosperity during the antebellum due to its bustling ports. Charleston was a key fortification point for the Confederacy, and it did not fall to Union Forces until the very last months of the Civil War.
This handsome depiction of the state shows it in a time of great transition, and these maps were often produced for markets in Western Europe. Europeans had become fascinated with the results of the American Civil War. They were eager to display locations that had historical significance, and South Carolina was easily one of the most symbolic.
This is truly an authentic piece of cartographical history, and the extensive details in Colton’s publication allow historians to gain greater insight into the daily lives of prominent South Carolinians and how their lives had been altered in the period stretching from antebellum to reconstruction.
Our ready-to-hang canvas wall art prints are made in the USA using the highest quality materials with professional craftsmanship. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Historic prints look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.