Published only two years following the conclusion of the American Civil War, this government-produced depiction shows the Territory in a time of great transition and development. The region had become a United States territory in 1850, though it would not achieve statehood until 1912. The Confederate Arizona Territory had split off from the rest of the Territory in 1861 and would become modern-day Arizona.
During the Civil War, the Confederacy claimed the southern portion of the state and attempted to control access to Union held California. These attempts proved unsuccessful, and the campaign was ended in the Union victory at the Battle of Glorieta Pass. The battle raged from March 26-28 in the north of the Territory and has been dubbed the “Gettysburg of the West.” Confederate forces were forced to retreat into Texas, and the defeat allowed California to continue shipping valuable resources East to support the Union efforts. Ultimately some seven thousand troops from the Arizona territory would join the Union.
Control of the southern borders of the Territory proved crucial in the Union victory. The Territory was sparsely populated and mostly agrarian as vast mineral resources had yet to be discovered. This sparse population led to a reluctant Congress not making efforts to include the Territory as a State. The distinctive aesthetic of this map immediately transports the viewer back in time. The United States Topographical Bureau maps were critical in settlement of the American West, and this is an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1867 New Mexico Old Territory and Military Department Map . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1867 New Mexico Old Territory and Military Department Map . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.