- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You'll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1868 Des Moines Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional's choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and the text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1868 Des Moines Iowa Map Poster. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Produced and published by prolific America cartographer Albert Ruger, this stunning depiction of iconic Des Moines, Iowa shows the city in a period of significant growth, transformation, and expansion just years after the conclusion of the American Civil War. As Iowa's State Capital, Des Moines's rich history and unique culture. The city was officially incorporated in 1851, but growth would not occur until the widespread expansion of railroad lines in 1866. By 1880 Des Moines had become the largest city in Iowa and experienced a flourishing economy spurred on by coal mining.
Ruger's perspective maps were wildly popular from the late nineteenth century until the 1920s and served as promotional materials for cities to attract industrialists and workers alike. The unique aesthetic and distinctive style of bird's eye perspectives immediately transports the viewer back in time, creating an indelible bond between the past and present. Des Moines has become one of the most notable cities in American politics as the Iowa Caucus is used as a bellwether in presidential elections.
During the Industrial Revolution of the late nineteenth century, the robust coal mining operations in the region allowed for Des Moines to prosper, and numerous neighborhoods were established along cultural lines, many of which exist to this day. This expansion and establishment caused the region's economy to shift from primarily agricultural to mining, finance, and manufacturing. In the years following the Confederate defeat in the Civil War, Des Moines flourished, and this is truly an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.