Produced by prolific mapmaker and illustrator Albert Ruger this Bird’s eye perspective of the grand city of Chicago was published only three years before the landscape would be forever changed in the Great Chicago Fire, which destroyed an area 4 miles long and 1 mile wide. This depicts the city in a time of great prosperity with stockyards supplying beef to urban centers across the country. High demand spurred these successes on following the conclusion of the Civil War and during reconstruction. Another direct result of the Civil War was the establishment of stable banking in Chicago with the First National Bank of Chicago’s formation in 1863. Soon the banking deposits held in Chicago enabled industrial expansion and a population explosion. By 1870 the number of factories had tripled, and population followed suit.
Chicago and surrounding Cook county sent 22,436 men to fight in the Civil War with approximately two thirds of them coming from the city proper. The war disrupted traditionally established trade routes and vital food capitals shifted. St. Louis was no longer the grain capital andCincinnati lost its status as the capital of pork-packing, enabling Chicago to emerge as the central point for transporting beef, grain, and pork.
Bird’s eye perspectives were created as pieces of art to be displayed by merchants and residents alike as an exhibition of their civic pride. This depiction shows a Chicago proud and prosperous, moving towards the modern era full steam ahead as a true icon of American History.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1868 Chicago Map Wall Art . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1868 Chicago Map Wall Art . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 16x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.