- VINTAGE MAP CANVAS ART: You’ll love this high-quality canvas art reproduction of 1870 New York Canvas Art. Our ready-to-hang maps are printed and framed in the USA by professional art framers using the highest quality materials. Each order is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1870 New York City Map. A true piece of history. Historic prints beautifully link the past with the present. You may find yourself staring at your historic wall art for hours in amazement. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- QUALITY CANVAS: To display this amazing piece of history, we use museum-quality heavyweight (400gsm), satin/gloss, American made canvas. Our canvas is OBA-free which allows the print to retain its color quality for generations. The canvas displays vintage map art with accurate color reproduction. This high quality canvas print will be a wonderful addition to your vintage-themed wall.
- READY TO HANG: This high-quality canvas wrap wall art displays beautifully in almost any environment. The stretcher bar is made out of kiln-dried poplar wood. This canvas wall art has a 1.5 inch wrap on each side. Our canvas wrap prints are made-to-order in the USA by professional art framers. Frames arrive ready-to-hang, preinstalled with hanging hardware.
- HISTORIC PRINTS: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, stamps, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. Customers all over the world love our historic prints and we know you will too.
Published in 1870 by the prolific lithographer Currier & Ives, this stunning depiction of New York City shows the iconic American city at a time of great transition and prosperity. The conclusion of the Civil War five years prior was allowing the country to recover and the economy to expand. Tourism was increasing, and the city became the number one destination. Grand hotels were being built, and the city was about to begin the Gilded Age.
Bird's eye perspectives were illustrated to allow citizens and merchants to display civic pride and noted essential and prominent buildings. These depictions give insight into the history of America, and their unique aesthetic transports the viewer back in time.
New York City was bustling at the start of 1870 and had seen mass immigration from Ireland for the past ten years due to the Great Irish Famine. The Irish comprised nearly a quarter of the cities population, whose great migration was rivaled only by that of German immigrants who were fleeing cities disrupted by revolutions in the middle of the 19th century. This would start to change as immigrants from across the globe began to arrive in the following two decades with the opening of Ellis Island in 1892.
Brooklyn established Coney Island in the 1870s, and it became an iconic destination for beachgoers since its inception. The five boroughs had yet to be consolidated, although the cultures and unique features of each were developing and evolving into what would become recognizable today.
Our ready-to-hang canvas wall art prints are made in the USA using the highest quality materials with professional craftsmanship. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Historic prints look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.