Published in 1870 by the prolific lithographer Currier & Ives, this stunning depiction of New York City shows the iconic American city at a time of great transition and prosperity. The conclusion of the Civil War five years prior was allowing the country to recover and the economy to expand. Tourism was increasing, and the city became the number one destination. Grand hotels were being built, and the city was about to begin the Gilded Age.
Bird's eye perspectives were illustrated to allow citizens and merchants to display civic pride and noted essential and prominent buildings. These depictions give insight into the history of America, and their unique aesthetic transports the viewer back in time.
New York City was bustling at the start of 1870 and had seen mass immigration from Ireland for the past ten years due to the Great Irish Famine. The Irish comprised nearly a quarter of the cities population, whose great migration was rivaled only by that of German immigrants who were fleeing cities disrupted by revolutions in the middle of the 19th century. This would start to change as immigrants from across the globe began to arrive in the following two decades with the opening of Ellis Island in 1892.
Brooklyn established Coney Island in the 1870s, and it became an iconic destination for beachgoers since its inception. The five boroughs had yet to be consolidated, although the cultures and unique features of each were developing and evolving into what would become recognizable today.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1870 Map of New York City Poster . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1870 Map of New York City Poster . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 16x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.