- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1874 Kalamazoo Michigan Map. Our museum quality prints are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1874 Kalamazoo City Michigan Map. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Produced and published by one of the most prolific and successful panoramic mapmakers of the time, this detailed depiction of Kalamazoo shows the town in a period of significant growth, transformation, and expansion. Albert Ruger’s work is immediately recognizable, and his distinctive style and unique aesthetic transport the viewer back in time, creating an indelible bond between the past and present. Ruger produced more than two hundred maps in his career, and his Merchants Lithographing Company became a leader in these depictions, which towns and cities used as promotional materials.
This style was very popular during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and noted prominent civic features, buildings, and other features intended to attract residents. These maps were displayed nationally as well as locally by residents and merchants alike in a show of civic pride. Kalamazoo was incorporated in 1836 as a village and would officially become a city more than a decade following the publication of this map.
Kalamazoo became popular because it is central to Chicago and Detroit and allowed residents to conduct business throughout the region while enjoying the benefits of a smaller city. In 1959 the city opened the first outdoor pedestrian shopping mall, a concept that would become popular throughout the nation in the following decades. The land surrounding the city was fertile and attracted farmers, and Kalamazoo would see numerous factories established during the industrial revolution. Ruger’s depiction of this iconic American city portrays it in a time of great prosperity and development.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.