The 1870s were a period of rapid growth for railroads, and their importance cannot be overstated for their contribution to the growth, transformation, and development of American culture. The first Transcontinental line had been completed just five years prior in 1869, and the steam engine had become the dominant method for transporting goods and people quickly through the nation. The emergence of sleeping and dining cars had made travel more widespread and luxurious.
By the 1870s, the state's natural resources were being tapped, and its primary economic drivers were the agricultural and farming industries. Railroads allowed the efficient transport of these goods to the rest of the Union and also gave greater access to the immigrants that were flocking to the state. German, Scandinavian, and Northern European immigrants established farms and mills throughout the region. Iron mining was also becoming an integral part of this thriving economy by the end of the 19th century.
With the conclusion of the Civil War nine years prior, the state had seen considerable growth in population with nearly 500,000 residents by 1874. Railroad maps were an essential tool for the merchants and farmers of this time and would define the settlement and establishment of towns for years to come. Published in 1874, this is one of the earlier maps to depict Minnesota, and its producer AJ Reed was one of the only active mapmakers in the state during this era. This rare print and its distinctive aesthetic are a unique piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee Minnesota art work comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your Minnesota home decor print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching Minnesota vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect Minnesota gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1874 Minnesota Map Poster . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1874 Minnesota Map Poster . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 20x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.