- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1874 Winona City Minnesota Map Our museum quality prints are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1874 Map of Minnesota Poster Print. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Produced and published by the prolific American artist and illustrator Albert Ruger, this detailed bird's eye perspective of Iowa City shows the city in a period of significant growth and transformation in the years following the conclusion of the American Civil War. Iowa City is the home of Iowa State University which was founded in 1847 and has one of the largest privately owned teaching hospitals in the United States. Ruger helped popularize the panoramic maps style in the middle portion of the nineteenth century and was a pioneer of the form. His works bear a distinctive style that establishes A bond between the past and present and immediately transports the viewer back in time.
Bird's eye perspectives were used to attract residents and merchants to cities and towns across the United States. After the Civil War, there was a considerable amount of settlement across the American North. Iowa City was first established in 1839 and is situated on the bluffs above the Iowa River, a tributary of the vast Mississippi River. Iowa City lies in Southeast Iowa and served as a gateway to the Northwest for travelers and immigrants throughout the nineteenth and early parts of the twentieth century.
Panoramic maps served as marketing materials and highlighted economic and residential opportunities to attract immigrants from Western Europe and the American South and were often posted in train stations as the American West continued to be settled. These works feature a distinctive aesthetic and are valuable pieces of American cartographical history.