By the 1870s, the population of San Francisco had stabilized around 150,000, roughly half of what the city had in the preceding two decades as a result of the gold rush in 1848. The town was still flourishing in this time and had experienced its second boom with the discovery of the Comstock Lode, one of the most significant discoveries of silver in history. Fortunes were being made, and lost, overnight with speculation on mining interests taking place in the San Francisco Stock Exchange.
Construction of the iconic cable cars was completed in 1873, and the city had adopted its Victorian-style architecture; modern San Francisco was starting to take shape in the Nob Hill mansions. Access to the rest of the country has been enabled with the completion of the St. Louis-San Francisco Railroad and allowed the port to thrive as imports spread their way back east, and eager investors raced west. Civic leaders had started laying the foundation for what would become the iconic Golden Gate Park, and San Francisco was in a renaissance.
San Francisco’s participation in the Civil War was primarily sending gold east to support Union efforts, though it did maintain a military presence at The Presidio. This bird’s eye perspective illustrates places of interest, businesses, and neighborhoods. Merchants and residents alike would display these depictions in a show of civic pride. The history of San Francisco is rich and deep, and the viewer is immediately transported back to a time of great optimism with this authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1875 Graphic Chart of San Francisco Map Print. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1875 Graphic Chart of San Francisco Map Print. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 16 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube. Shipping is fast and free.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. We stand behind our products with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.