Published in 1875 from the original Spanish plan illustrated in 1798, the distinctive aesthetic and unique features of this reproduction map immediately transports the viewers back in time. Produced only five years prior to the Louisiana Purchase, this depiction of the iconic American City shows it in a time of significant growth and transition. This acquisition allowed the United States to expand its empire into the West and would ultimately prove to be one of the most important land deals in American History.
The access that the Port of New Orleans offered to the Midwest became one of the most critical trade routes on the United States, and interstate commerce on the Mississippi River was a primary economic driver for the newly established nation. The largest Southern port in the country, New Orleans, was a flourishing melting pot in this era and was developing a unique cultural identity informed by European, Indigenous, and African traditions. The city warehoused the numerous commodities that were transported both north and south along the river, and this fueled the thriving local economy.
New Orleans did not see any destruction during the American Civil War though it did come under attack with the Union’s sieges at Fort Jackson and Fort St. Philip. By gaining control of the port, the Union held a crucial advantage during the conflict. The late 19th century saw New Orleans developing many of the historical and cultural traditions still recognized today, and this is truly an authentic piece of cartographical History.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1875 New Orleans Louisiana Map . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1875 New Orleans Louisiana Map . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.