The 1870s were a time of great prosperity and population growth for San Francisco. With overland transportation established by rail in 1869, the cities thriving ports now had an efficient method to transport imported goods into the heart of the country. This economic expansion spurred many of the iconic pieces of San Francisco’s rich culture and history, including the completion of the cable cars in 1873 and plans for the Golden Gate Park. This year also marked the completion of the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway known as the ‘Frisco. This bird’s eye perspective transports the viewer back in time.
Illustrated by noted surveyor GH Goddard, who was also an experienced landscape painter, this handsome depiction of one of America’s truly iconic cities is an authentic piece of cartographical history. Considered the ‘Decade of Bonanza,’ the 1870s found San Francisco thriving due to two great economic booms. The population had grown exponentially and was nearing 250,000 by the late 1870s with a push from the discovery of the Comstock Lode, one of the most significant silver discoveries in history.
During this time, fortunes were made and lost overnight on the cities thriving stock market, which saw wild speculation in mining interests. Excited investors from across the country flocked to San Francisco to try their hand in the markets. Stories of chambermaids’ purchasing the homes they serviced fluttered around, and nearly every resident was caught up in mining speculation. The Victorian architecture that distinguishes San Francisco also came to prominence in this era.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1876 San Francisco Bay Area Map Art . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1876 San Francisco Bay Area Map Art . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 16x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.