Published by the prolific Parsons & Atwater lithography firm, this stunning depiction of New York City in 1876, shows the city in a time great transition and prosperity. The conclusion of the Civil War a decade earlier had given the city a considerable boom of immigration with Irish and German’s fleeing both famine and civil unrest to seek fortunes in America. The two groups represented nearly half of all the residents of New York City and had begun to develop neighborhoods and communities outside the island of Manhattan.
The port was thriving, and the late 1870s saw the city becoming the financial and cultural center of American life. Grand hotels were being built, and tourists flocked to the city for entertainment. Nightclubs had proliferated throughout the city with live music and Vaudevillian performers engaging the delighted crowds. Coney Island had become a resort getaway in the summer enticing tourists and residents alike with the Brighton Beach enabled with the extension of the Brooklyn Railroad in the early part of the decade.
The so-called ‘Gilded Age’ was in full swing in New York at this point, and this was a time of significant progress and transition. The unique aesthetic that Charles Parsons was known for is shown here with great detail and immediately transports the viewer back in time. New York City has always been at the forefront of American culture and innovation; this is especially true in this era as electricity, lightbulbs, and other modern conveniences became the norm.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1876 New York City Map Print . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1876 New York City Map Print . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.