Illustrated by prolific lithographer John Bachmann who created bird's eye perspectives throughout the Northeast, this unique depiction of the great city of Boston transports the viewer back in time. The city had been ravaged five years prior, in the Great Fire of 1872, and was experiencing a period of unfettered growth following the Civil War. Following the fire, 600 acres of burnt debris was used to fill waterfront areas and expand residential housing.
Construction of the Trinity Church was completed this year, following its destruction in the Great Fire. The iconic church stands to this day and is one of the many historically significant buildings in Boston. The cities rich history goes back to the earliest days of the nation, and many of the critical events in the American Revolution occurred here.
With its deep harbor and a large number of railroad connections in the city, Boston's economy was thriving with goods arriving and being transported west and south. This prosperity led to a number of philanthropic and educational advances and the cities elite, known as the Boston Brahmins, came to represent the cultural vanguard of the time. These socialites and industrialists began to be known as the nation's social and cultural elites.
Bird's eye perspectives were created not for use as scaled maps, but as a means for residents and merchants alike to display their civic pride and as a representation of significant buildings, neighborhoods, and gathering places. This illustration is an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1877 Boston Map Wall Art View from the North . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1877 Boston Map Wall Art View from the North . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.