San Francisco is a true icon of the American West, and it's rich history and culture have always set it apart as one of the first sizeable western port's, the cities diversity was vast. Produced by well known American lithographer Charles Parsons, this depiction transports the viewer back to a time of early cable cars and a city bursting with vibrancy. The first cable cars carried residents up Clay street in 1873 and have been an immediately recognized feature of the town to this day.
Upon its publication in 1878, this bird's eye view would have been proudly displayed in a show of civic pride by merchants and residents alike. These prints were produced as a way to show off notable buildings, public centers, and geographic features.
San Francisco was thriving in the 1870s after the completion of the Pacific Railroad in 1869 opened it up to transporting south to Los Angeles. This increased trade with the southern city allowed merchants to capitalize on their international port with domestic economies. This era was also when dry goods merchant Levi Strauss invented blue jeans to cater to the needs of the modern market.
One of the unique features of this bird's eye map is that it foregoes the typical style which focuses on detail and instead provides a sense of the density and natural geography that shaped the city. This is an authentic piece of American cartographical history and tells a story of a grand American city in transition.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1878 City of San Francisco Map Art . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1878 City of San Francisco Map Art . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.