- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of Buffalo New York Poster. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and the text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1880 Buffalo Wall Art. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Produced by native Buffalonian Edward Howard Hutchinson, this detailed bird's eye perspective was published in a period of significant growth and transition for the iconic American city. The second most populous city in New York after New York City, Buffalo's distinct culture and prominent location at the start of the Erie Canal allowed the city to expand throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries rapidly. Grain milling and steel production spurred growth and attracted immigrants from Ireland, Germany, and Italy seeking employment and fleeing famine and civil unrest in their home countries.
Hutchinson was a prominent Buffalo businessman and had the Maerz Lithography Co produce this map of his home town to promote the prominent merchants, buildings, and government institutions. Bird's eye perspectives were among the most popular illustrations of the late nineteenth century and remained so until the 1920s. Their distinctive aesthetic and signature style immediately transport the viewer back in time.
By 1880 Buffalo was completely connected by rail to Canada and the surrounding regions allowing a flourishing trade industry bolstered by the steel-producing factories which were supplying a new thirst for the metal as glass and steel structure gained popularity in New York, as well as San Francisco, Seattle, and Portland, Or. The Erie Canal and its commercial trade route was another important economic driver with thousands of ships trading its waters annually. This stunning depiction of Buffalo in a period of economic expansion, prosperity, and population growth is an authentic piece of American cartographic history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.