- VINTAGE MAP CANVAS ART: You’ll love this high-quality canvas art reproduction of 1880 Rhode Island State Map Canvas Art.. Our ready-to-hang maps are printed and framed in the USA by professional art framers using the highest quality materials. Each order is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1880 Rhode Island Map Canvas. A true piece of history. Historic prints beautifully link the past with the present. You may find yourself staring at your historic wall art for hours in amazement. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- QUALITY CANVAS: To display this amazing piece of history, we use museum-quality heavyweight (400gsm), satin/gloss, American made canvas. Our canvas is OBA-free which allows the print to retain its color quality for generations. The canvas displays vintage map art with accurate color reproduction. This high quality canvas print will be a wonderful addition to your vintage-themed wall.
- READY TO HANG: This high-quality canvas wrap wall art displays beautifully in almost any environment. The stretcher bar is made out of kiln-dried poplar wood. This canvas wall art has a 1.5 inch wrap on each side. Our canvas wrap prints are made-to-order in the USA by professional art framers. Frames arrive ready-to-hang, preinstalled with hanging hardware.
- HISTORIC PRINTS: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, stamps, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. Customers all over the world love our historic prints and we know you will too.
Published by noted American politician, publisher, and mapmaker Samuel D. Tilden, this unique depiction of the State of Rhode Island, shows it in a period of great prosperity, growth, and development. Tilden was the 25th Governor of New York and the Democratic Presidential Candidate in 1876. His support for the Tammany Hall political machine in New York halted in 1871 due to the rampant corruption in leadership and was one of the leading factors for his election as the State’s Governor.
One of the features of this map that makes it valuable to historians and genealogists is the detailed census data it contains. This allows researchers to understand the State and its history better. By the 1880s, manufacturing and industrialization had boomed in Rhode Island, and immigrants flocked to the State from England, Ireland, Portugal, Italy, and Germany. These immigrant communities quickly established neighborhoods and traditions throughout Rhode Island.
The State was experiencing economic prosperity following the conclusion of the American Civil War some fifteen years earlier. The population had tripled by the late 19th century creating dense urban environments. Providence was one of the wealthiest cities in America by 1890, and the city built an extensive system of electric streetcars in the early 20th century. The fifty years following the conclusion of the Civil War sparked the so-called Gilded Age for Rhode Island, and wealthy industrialists made the State a summer destination establishing vast estates. This detailed map is truly an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our ready-to-hang canvas wall art prints are made in the USA using the highest quality materials with professional craftsmanship. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Historic prints look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.