- VINTAGE MAP FRAMED: You’ll love this high-quality framed historic reproduction of 1880 Rhode Island State Map. Our ready-to-hang maps are printed and framed in the USA by professional art framers using the highest quality materials. Each order is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1880 Framed Map of Rhode Island Print. A true piece of history. Historic prints beautifully link the past with the present. You may find yourself staring at your historic wall art for hours in amazement. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: To display this amazing piece of history, we use museum-quality heavyweight (230gsm), fine art print matte paper. Our paper is acid-free which allows the print to retain its color quality for generations. Our paper displays vintage map art with accurate color reproduction. This high quality print will be a wonderful addition to your vintage-themed wall.
- READY TO HANG: This high-quality frame displays art beautifully in almost any environment. The frame is made out of poplar wood (for black and white) and pine wood (for walnut and natural) with a matte finish. The frame profile is 1.5 inches high and 0.75 (for size 18x24) and 1.125 (for size 24x36) inches wide. To protect artwork, we use high-quality, lightweight, shatter-resistant frame-grade acrylic. Frames arrive ready-to-hang, preinstalled with hanging hardware.
- HISTORIC PRINTS: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, stamps, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. Our framed prints are made-to-order in the USA by professional art framers. Customers all over the world love our historic prints and we know you will too.
Published by noted American politician, publisher, and mapmaker Samuel D. Tilden, this unique depiction of the State of Rhode Island, shows it in a period of great prosperity, growth, and development. Tilden was the 25th Governor of New York and the Democratic Presidential Candidate in 1876. His support for the Tammany Hall political machine in New York halted in 1871 due to the rampant corruption in leadership and was one of the leading factors for his election as the State’s Governor.
One of the features of this map that makes it valuable to historians and genealogists is the detailed census data it contains. This allows researchers to understand the State and its history better. By the 1880s, manufacturing and industrialization had boomed in Rhode Island, and immigrants flocked to the State from England, Ireland, Portugal, Italy, and Germany. These immigrant communities quickly established neighborhoods and traditions throughout Rhode Island.
The State was experiencing economic prosperity following the conclusion of the American Civil War some fifteen years earlier. The population had tripled by the late 19th century creating dense urban environments. Providence was one of the wealthiest cities in America by 1890, and the city built an extensive system of electric streetcars in the early 20th century. The fifty years following the conclusion of the Civil War sparked the so-called Gilded Age for Rhode Island, and wealthy industrialists made the State a summer destination establishing vast estates. This detailed map is truly an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our ready-to-hang wall art are printed and framed in the USA using the highest quality materials with professional craftsmanship. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Historic prints look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.