- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1880 Rhode Island State Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and the text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1880 Rhode Island State Map. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Published by noted American politician, publisher, and mapmaker Samuel D. Tilden, this unique depiction of the State of Rhode Island, shows it in a period of great prosperity, growth, and development. Tilden was the 25th Governor of New York and the Democratic Presidential Candidate in 1876. His support for the Tammany Hall political machine in New York halted in 1871 due to the rampant corruption in leadership and was one of the leading factors for his election as the State’s Governor.
One of the features of this map that makes it valuable to historians and genealogists is the detailed census data it contains. This allows researchers to understand the State and its history better. By the 1880s, manufacturing and industrialization had boomed in Rhode Island, and immigrants flocked to the State from England, Ireland, Portugal, Italy, and Germany. These immigrant communities quickly established neighborhoods and traditions throughout Rhode Island.
The State was experiencing economic prosperity following the conclusion of the American Civil War some fifteen years earlier. The population had tripled by the late 19th century creating dense urban environments. Providence was one of the wealthiest cities in America by 1890, and the city built an extensive system of electric streetcars in the early 20th century. The fifty years following the conclusion of the Civil War sparked the so-called Gilded Age for Rhode Island, and wealthy industrialists made the State a summer destination establishing vast estates. This detailed map is truly an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.