Illustrated by prominent American cartographer Richard Covington, this depiction of Hawaii shows the delineation of Royal and Government lands with Crown lands shown in yellow. Hawaii was still a kingdom in 1881 and would not be annexed as a United States territory until 1898. Covington’s unique aesthetic and technical skill show the island of Oahu in a time before significant periods of immigration and industrial farming would transform the culture and identity of the island.
This era in Hawaii’s rich history saw a transition from a primarily subsistence farming local community to agricultural stakes from Europe and the United States establishing large farms. These farms would produce much of the world’s sugar cane, and pineapples also became a huge economic driver for the islands.
This map was published only a century after the archipelago had been discovered by Captain James Cook, and set off the influx of explorers and traders who used the island as an outpost in the vastness of the Pacific Ocean. Sailing vessels from around the globe started arriving, and the islands became a diverse waypoint between North America and Southeast Asia as well as Japan.
The 1880s were also a period of revolution on the islands with the Rebellion of 1887 sparking a slew of tumultuous clashes until the final Rebellion of 1895 and the ultimate annexation by the United States at the close of the century. This unique piece of cartographical history exemplifies the remoteness of Hawaii and the iconic images that have come to be so familiar.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1881 Oahu Hawaii Vintage Map . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1881 Oahu Hawaii Vintage Map . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.