Produced by prolific American lithographer and illustrator L.R. Burleigh, this bird’s eye perspective, shows Ithaca, NY in a time of significant growth and transformation. Cornell University had been founded only 14 years earlier, and the little town on Lake Cayuga was burgeoning with expanded trade and manufacturing industries. The Ivy League university has attracted students internationally and is amongst the most respected in the nation. Ezra Cornell’s founding principle held that any person should have access to instruction in their chosen field, and it was established as a private, non-sectarian institution.
Burleigh’s distinctive aesthetic was popular during this era, and these illustrations were bought by merchants and residents alike as a way to demonstrate their civic pride. His work primarily focused on cities in the Northeast and is featured in the Smithsonian Art museum. This signature style immediately transports the viewer back in time.
The 1880s marked the development of Ithaca from a small town to a center of trade; trolley was built, and railway hubs expanded access to the finger lake region. The region supported numerous dairies and small farms, and Cornell’s dedicated dairy research center has long supported New York’s milk and yogurt industries.
While the city had not been impacted much by the Civil War, the decades following its end presented the opportunity for the region to expand its rail access. While the steep hills and proximity to Lake Cayuga posed engineering challenges, Cornell financed the project to help foster growth and prosperity for the city.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1882 Ithaca New York Map Print . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1882 Ithaca New York Map Print . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 16x24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.