- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1883 Superior Wisconsin Map. Our museum quality prints are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1883 Map of Superior Wall Art. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Produced and published by one of the most prolific American mapmakers of the era, Henry Wellge, one of six cartographers who were responsible for the creation of more than half of all birds eye perspective of cities across the United States. The style bears a distinctive aesthetic that immediately transports the viewer back in time. They were widely popular during the mid-nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and served as marketing materials to attract residents and merchants alike. They often featured prominent civic features and economic opportunities as well as other notable buildings and schools.
The Seat of Douglas County, Superior, Wisconsin, is framed by the Nemadji and Saint Louis Rivers across the bay from Duluth, which forms the so-called Twin Ports. The two cities shared harbor is one of the most important ports on the Great Lakes. This map was published before the Boom Period, which began in 1888, and shows the town on the brink of significant transformation and population growth. Between 1890 and 1920, the region was heavily settled by immigrants coming from Eastern and Western Europe, England, Scandinavia, and Germany. These communities founded numerous neighborhoods based on cultural lines, many of which remain to this day.
Wellge’s depiction of the city captures a unique moment in the city’s rich history that illustrates the importance of the geographic proximity to the waters of Lake Superior. This is an authentic piece of American cartographical history that illustrates the early signs of its importance as an industrial center.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.