- VINTAGE MAP CANVAS ART: You’ll love this high-quality canvas art reproduction of 1884 Map of San Francisco Canvas Wall Art. Our ready-to-hang maps are printed and framed in the USA by professional art framers using the highest quality materials. Each order is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1884 San Francisco City Map Poster. A true piece of history. Historic prints beautifully link the past with the present. You may find yourself staring at your historic wall art for hours in amazement. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- QUALITY CANVAS: To display this amazing piece of history, we use museum-quality heavyweight (400gsm), satin/gloss, American made canvas. Our canvas is OBA-free which allows the print to retain its color quality for generations. The canvas displays vintage map art with accurate color reproduction. This high quality canvas print will be a wonderful addition to your vintage-themed wall.
- READY TO HANG: This high-quality canvas wrap wall art displays beautifully in almost any environment. The stretcher bar is made out of kiln-dried poplar wood. This canvas wall art has a 1.5 inch wrap on each side. Our canvas wrap prints are made-to-order in the USA by professional art framers. Frames arrive ready-to-hang, preinstalled with hanging hardware.
- HISTORIC PRINTS: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, stamps, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. Customers all over the world love our historic prints and we know you will too.
Published in 1884, this depiction of pre gold rush San Francisco, then Yerba Buena, portrays the city in the year that it became a part of the United States following the conclusion of the Mexican-American War. This iconic city was a sleepy port that had been under Mexican control but was about to experience one of the most significant booms in American History, which would forever transform the culture and landscape of the region. The gold rush started in 1848 with James Marshall’s discovery of gold at Sutter’s Mill. It brought approximately 300,000 eager prospectors looking to make their fortune in the rich hills surrounding San Francisco. This population boom expanded agricultural interests and cattle ranching throughout the state to meet the demands of these transplants.
San Francisco had a population of 200 in 1846, and this depiction illustrates the sleepy hamlet in a serenity that it would never again experience. The construction of roads, schools, churches, and mining equipment merchants sprung up nearly overnight. With no established system for maintaining property claims, prospectors staked claims and sought riches.
This bird’s eye perspective would have been produced as a relic to remind residents of their History and what the city had once looked like before the distinctive cable cars and victorian architecture created the aesthetic of late-twentieth-century San Francisco. The 1880s were a time of great prosperity for the city and found civic leaders laying plans for what would later become Golden Gate Park.
Our ready-to-hang canvas wall art prints are made in the USA using the highest quality materials with professional craftsmanship. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Historic prints look great in the home, study or office. They also make an unforgettable gift.